Friday, 18 June 2021
Hearsay is the Law Society's fortnightly e-newsletter, sent out to all members. Reproduced here is the news section of Hearsay — other sections have been omitted.
Nominations now open for the 2021 ACT Law Awards
The Law Society is pleased to announce that nominations are now open for the 2021 ACT Law Awards. The awards are:
- The President’s Medal, recognising significant personal and professional contributions of a local legal practitioner to the improvement of law and justice in the community.
- The ACT Firm of the Year, recognising the efforts of local firms in contributing to access to justice, and to a diverse and healthy legal profession.
- The Pro Bono Service Award, recognising the vital community legal work done by individual practitioners.
- The Government Law Award, recognising the achievements of practitioners working in government.
- The Young Lawyer of the Year, recognising the achievements of early career lawyers.
Nominations for the President’s Medal must be put forward by a person other than the nominee. For all other awards, individuals (or firms, where relevant) may self-nominate, or be nominated by someone else (subject to the nominees’ consent). Nominations close at 5pm on Monday 26 July. Awards recipients will be announced at our Annual Dinner & Awards Night on Friday 27 August 2021. Read More +
Trust Account reminders
External examination reports covering 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021 should now be with the Society.
Statutory deposit calculation forms for the trust year ended 31 March 2021 are now due. Please send via email to email@example.com. Payment (if due) needs to be made by 30 June 2021. If a refund is due, the Society will return funds only if you clearly state that you would like the amount refunded. Otherwise the money will be held until such time you have need to request it.
Trust Account Statements to your clients must be given as set out in Section 57(6) of the Legal Profession Regulation 2007, or as soon as practicable after 30 June in each year.
Practices must provide written notice of authorised signatories to their trust account as at 1 July each year by filling out the form on the website. Please do not send the notification until July.
Notices to Practitioners
- ACT Supreme Court - Bundle of Common Authorities approved by the Court
- Listing urgent matters in the Supreme Court
Fees payable in the federal courts and tribunals will increase from 1 July 2021