The Property Law Committee focuses on issues relating to property law, providing an enormous benefit to all members of the profession, to the property industry, and, as a result, to the wider community. They regularly answer questions from members regarding property law matters, and publish articles on changes to legislation, case law, and ACT and Commonwealth Government policy. They also coordinate an annual Property Law CPD Afternoon.
Recent issues dealt with by the committee include:
- liaising with the ATO on GST residential withholding measures following the 1 July 2018 introduction of changes to the collection of GST in relation to the sale of certain new residential property and vacant land,
- liaising with the ACT Revenue Office following the 1 July 2018 introduction of changes to ACT land tax, including the publication of an information paper for members,
- liaising with the Directorate of Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development (CMTED) and their appointed consultants (Peg Consulting) in relation to the ACT Government’s scoping study to identify current issues, options and proposed approaches for undertaking legislative reform of the Land Titles Act (including the possible introduction of eConveyancing in the ACT), and providing a written submission on behalf of the ACT Law Society,
- liaising with the Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate (EPSDD) in relation to the ACT Government’s review of the Lease Variation Charge, and providing a written submission on behalf of the ACT Law Society,
- liaising with the EPSDD in relation to the ACT Government’s enquiry into strata reform, and providing a written submission on behalf of the ACT Law Society, and
- liaising with the CMTED in relation to the ACT Government’s enquiry into commercial rates, and providing a written submission on behalf of the ACT Law Society,
- continuing to liaise with the CMTED in relation to the ACT Government’s inquiry into building quality in the ACT,
- liaising with the Elder Law Committee in relation to the property-related aspects of legislative changes regarding retirement villages, and
- lobbying the ACT Government for a range of reforms intended to reduce the red tape associated with property dealings.
The committee is in the process of redrafting the standard Contract for Sale (including to address further legislative changes in relation to GST, land tax, and possibly strata). The committee also continues to liaise with the Chief Executive Officer in relation to the development of an electronic version of the standard Contract for Sale, which is expected to become available during the 2019-20 year.
You can contact the committee directly through the Law Society's Committee Administrator, Tanya Holt, on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Adam Peppinck (Chair)
- Ed Campbell
- John Chamberlain
- David Claxton
- Peter Dascarolis
- Alfonso Del Rio
- Mussa Hijazi
- Michael James
- Shelley Mulherin
- Pria O’Sullivan
- Christine Murray
- Helen Rodriguez
- Peter Waight
- Chris Wheeler
- Rhys Mitchell* (Young Lawyers Committee)
- Brett Phillips* (Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate)
- Fred Arugay* (Access Canberra)
- Zoe Hutchinson* (Justice & Community Safety Directorate)