The Property Law Committee focuses on issues relating to property law. They regularly answer questions from members regarding property law matters, and publish articles on changes to legislation, case law, and ACT and Commonwealth Government policy.
Recent issues dealt with by the committee include:
- consultation on draft legislation for reform of the Land Titles Act to modernise the ACT land titles system, including the introduction of eConveyancing in the ACT
- the introduction of PEXA (eConveyancing) capability for ACT property transactions
- participation in stakeholder consultation meetings and consultation on draft legislation in relation to strata reform
- the introduction of changes to ACT land tax and related issues
- consultation in relation to the draft policy for the ACT’s implementation of the Commonwealth Government’s HomeBuilder scheme
- consultation in relation to the draft legislation to introduce changes to the Lease Variation Charge
- the introduction of changes to the collection of GST by the ATO in relation to the sale of certain new residential property and vacant land (GST residential withholding measures)
- the introduction of changes to foreign investment laws, including participating in a series of stakeholder consultation meetings
- consultation in relation to the draft legislation in relation to residential tenancies reform
- in response to Covid-19, the introduction of social distancing measures in the Settlements Office, and the consideration of possible workarounds if the Office needed to close
- consultation in relation to the draft legislation introducting changes to residential tenancies legislation in response to Covid-19
- consultation on the draft legislation in relation to the ACT implementation of the National Cabinet’s Commercial Tenancies Code (Covid-19 commercial tenancies reform).
The committee continues to lobby the ACT Government for a range of reforms intended to reduce the red tape associated with property dealings in the ACT.
The electronic Contract for Sale was launched this year, and the committee is in the process of redrafting the standard contract to address further legislative changes in relation to GST, land tax, and the introduction of eConveyancing in the ACT.
You can contact the committee directly through the Law Society's Committee Administrator, Tanya Holt, on email@example.com.
- Adam Peppinck (Chair)
- Ed Campbell
- John Chamberlain
- David Claxton
- Peter Dascarolis
- Alfonso Del Rio
- Mussa Hijazi
- Michael James
- Shelley Mulherin
- Pria O’Sullivan
- Christine Murray
- Helen Rodriguez
- Chris Wheeler
- Fred Arugay* (Access Canberra)
- Zoe Hutchinson* (Justice and Community Safety Directorate)
- Rhys Mitchell (Young Lawyers Committee)
- Brett Phillips* (Environment, Planning and Sustainable Development Directorate)
- Kate Smyth* (Justice and Community Safety Directorate)
- Staff: Tanya Holt (Committee Administrator)